View Single Post

Well, the point is merely that Mobil 1 used to be made from Group IV base. No longer. It now contains Group III. Probably no oil on the market is the same formulation it was 10 years ago.

I'm not saying Mobil 1 isn't a fine oil; I've run it. Only reason I bring it up was because my recollection was questioned.

However, the API apparently regard "synthetic" as a marketing term now. From a 2000 oil trade rag (Lubricants World - ooh err missus) article Is Your Synthetic Motor Oil Really Synthetic:

Quote:
Exactly one year after the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus’ ruling in April 1999, upholding Castrol’s position that wax isomerates could be called synthetic, Petro-Canada (Toronto) advertised it would be referring to its very high viscosity index (VHVI) basestocks as a synthetic in the North American market. These products fall into the same API group (Group III) as wax isomerates, but could vary significantly in quality from wax isomerates. This market roar by Petro-Canada has carried a quiet undertone of moves from PAO to VHVI technology by several engine oil marketers.
Does it matter? Decide for yourselves. I'm out of this thread.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)