Thread: RUF CTR Tail
View Single Post

On the question about the 930 vs Carrera rubber lip.. They are NOT the same thickness at the mounting surface! Been there and done it.

If you dig out images of the 2 965 turbos that ran the IMSA Super Car Series in the early 90s you will notice that they snuck this mod in. A Carrera lip on a 965/930 base. This gave less rear downforce [by about 100 lb at speed] but less drag.

If you look really close at some images of the cars or see one in person, you will notice: The top surface is a perfect match. However, there is approximately a 1/3" gap between the lower portion of the rubber and the built up support boss on the fiberglass tail box. If you don't look close it is easy to miss.

When I was building my original CTR inspired car in that same period I had both tails and tried this combination. I liked the cleaner look but couldn't stand the up close mis-fit. Very time consuming to modify the box section for a 100% fit, especially when I wanted to run the "proper CTR" rear end in the first place. I finally used the complete 930 tail to gain a bit more rear downforce as I really used these cars in those days. The addition drag was a non-issue in good 'ol California as I never-ever drove over 55. [Yea. Those were the 55 mph days]
JR
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)