View Single Post

Undoing the Bad with the Good

I purchased this 87 Euro Spec 930 Turbo last year and had to put it away into storage right away. It was a very last minute deal and I had to jump on it therefore I didn't have much time to look it over as comprehensively as I'd like. That's fine though, I'm a tinkering kind of guy and my profession warrants me buying cars that are a bit less then tip top shape. Kind of how I like em, cause I get to put them back together to my liking.

This car is no exception. It ran and drove fine, boosted well before going into storage. Well after a winter of reading these forums and making myself somewhat familiar with the engine, I pulled the car out of storage and started inspecting it. The first thing that caught my eye was a vaccum leak at the T in the BOV (not to mention the ugly hose for the BOV but that will be fixed later).

I plugged it but noticed that the car started running richer and even during cruising it felt more sluggish then with the vacuum hose leaking. My first order is to fix this issue. However, I'm at a loss how this car was tuned because it doesnt have an adjustable WUR so I'm wondering how is fueling adjusted on a stock CIS system? I've been searching but can't seem to find a thread that talks about it.

The engine has an Electromotive XDI ignition system (with a map sensor) so I'm going to check timing on monday on a dyno to see where it sits plus get some AFR readings. Any suggestions as to rough timing settings I should be looking for? I know the system has 0-3000 and 3000+ knobs.

I went ahead and pulled the plugs and did a compression check as well. As you can see compression shows 120-ish across the cylinders so I feel as if the engine is in decent shape.

The plugs don't look so hot though

So my fellow wise Pelicans, what is my method of approach here? First and foremost, I'll fix the vacuum leak but I want to be able to fix the fueling when doing so. Is this even possible without a Leask WUR?

Here's a photo of the car and engine bay just because I know someone will ask.

Last edited by Pstl_Pete; 06-21-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)