View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
I'm wondering what you are basing this on? Many an engine builder (including some respected ones that post on Pelican) say that Motul 300V 4T is the best oil that money can buy and it is advertised as suitable for both wet and dry clutch motorcycles . . . I experienced much better rocker arm protection with the Motul than with 15w50 Mobil 1 (dry clutch, Ducati Superbike used for endurance racing), however, it was not the v-twin Mobil version.
When purchased my used 916 Ducati while I lived in Boston, I took it to a very respected Ducati tuner in New Hampshire to tweak it a bit. They went through the engine, most importantly, the valve train. As you know the desmo's used chromium valve actuators and had exhibited flaking in their lifespan. Sure enough, I had three that were showing signs of flaking. Ducato covered the actuators under warranty, but while I was there I noticed they were using Redline synthetic exclusively on all desmo's. When I asked why, they told me motor oils had gone under reformulations and that Redline provided the extra protection needed for their racing bikes. The Redline products worked very well on their dry clutch setups.
So, I tried to match up Redline's properties with other synthetics out there and chose M1 V-Twin. The other reason was from the thread on Pelican...the dreaded "Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils" If you have a free day to read

Chose a cycle oil targeted for dry clutch setups, simply because the additional additives used in wet-clutch setups aren't needed and I have no idea what effect they would have on our engines. Redline wasn't chosen simply on cost alone. I have a 13-14qt oil system and V-Twin is expensive enough as it is.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)