View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telerding View Post
I almost think that the oil for the right hand circle area could be coming from the rearmost access hole in the heat exchanger. I did not see excess oil inside the hole, but the circular tube end where it fits to the bottom of the HE had oil around it, almost like oil was coming out from inside the HE. I would not expect that!
I had a LOAD of oil INSIDE my heat exchanger as well when I was emptying my gearbox oil out through the vent, so I am not entirely surprised if there is oil inside the heat exchanger. In my case the reason for this was the front end of the exchanger getting liberally coated with oil and the flexi tube up to the heater flap from the exchanger wasn't a good fit. When I had then engine out and looked into the exchanger at the flywheel end I could see a pool of oil in it. I soaked as much out with a rag and a number of Italian tune-ups took care of the remaining oil.

However, at this point I wouldn't be unduly concerned with any oil leaks on the engine - what's critical here is to establish where the gearbox oil is going. Certainly it's no harm to eliminate them for sure as it will reduce the amount of oil on the engine and possibly help with tracing the gearbox oil.

The oil on the fill plug threads.....was this fresh/wet looking oil? Very unlikely it's coming out this taper thread plug though if this is any way tight...takes very little to have it tight. But worth a careful clean and check after a drive again.

That line of oil you saw along the longtitudinal boss of the transaxle - this is on the casing of the gearbox right? Different terminology so just checking....this is certainly a clue as oil will not come from the engine forward to the gearbox, so if this was clean prior to the drive then its worth cleaning, driving again and doing another check (and the fill plug threads) - remembering again the rate of loss from the gearbox - 0.5 qt / 2000 miles....it's a tedious job - I went through it with mine, replacing the driveshaft seals, taking it in and out twice etc.....
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)