View Single Post
Banned

That's interesting, Dave. I wonder if there are any verified claims out there that wet clutch oils do damage to rod or main bearings?

I raced with the CMRA here in Texas for 10 years, and used many brands/types of oils on many different wet-clutch and dry clutch bikes - never once did I have clutch slippage due to oil. Obviously, I knew many other racers who used every imaginable oil (Motul, Mobil 1, Redline, Repsol, Castrol, Amzoil, Rotella T, Honda branded, Elf, etc.) on a wide variety of bikes and never heard of clutch slippage due to oil choice or bearing failure due to using wet clutch oil in a dry clutch bike (though the subject was theorized on quite a bit). Often these were oils marketed for wet clutch use but just as often they were "car" oils. These are just my personal experiences (no laboratory tests, other than lots of track and dyno time), and I am not an oil expert by any means, but I think the concerns regarding motorcycle verses car oil are overblown based upon my "real world" observations. It is always an interesting subject none the less.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 06-21-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)