View Single Post

Garage
[QUOTE=tailwind22;7448540]What do you guys think of this 79 dealer slant conversion with a Ruf 5 speed transmission and K27 turbo? Price is a bit high for a conversion but it appears very nice. DANIEL SCHMITT & CO CLASSIC CAR GALLERY PRESENTS: 1979 PORSCHE 930 TURBO for Sale in St. Louis, Missouri.

That is a pretty nice looking car. You would have to look at the Slant Conversion in person to really know what you are getting. What dealer did the work? For example, an Alan Johnson conversion ( 80's Porsche Dealer in San Diego) would actually be collectible I think.

$59k seems a bit steep for a non factory slant nose but this post is full of comments on values going up so maybe that is where we are at now. A quality conversion is indistinguishable from a factory slant and there are not that many conversions out there in the big picture of things. My own experience would suggest that you look for signs of rust on the slant fenders. Even my RUF Conversion has some so I would guess that the factory dipped them and the rest of the world did not. Chaulk one up for the factory slants on that one.

As I recall, The 78-85 930 is tuned a bit different than the 86-89 930 so that the boost comes on a bit more sudden. That was the origins of the stigma that a 930 would kill the unaware driver doing stupid things. I would imagine that the standard headers/exhaust/turbo upgrades would cure that a bit. I am not sure that there were big differences in the suspension between the 3.3 930's.

Sounds like a day trip to St Louis for some BBQ and a Porsche ride. The car does look quite nice. I am not keen on the wheels but each to their own. The RUF 5 speed is way bonus! I would love to get one for my car.

Good luck......
Mark

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #672 (permalink)