View Single Post
dkbautosports.com

this is what happens all the time i give one person the info of there car and i get other people then asking about there cars color .
your 017 code is right for that year of 1980 . how every it has nothing to do with any 912's as i stated before it was not built by karmann .
the color of your car how ever does not look like burgunderrot it looks like the color burgunder Metallic with the code of 436 for the years of 1976 and 1977 . how ever i'm not looking up the color info to make sure of the color , color code or the years and if they are right .but looking at the photo you posted thats what the color looks like to me . it does not have the rot in the color of burgunder rot .
i would say your car was repainted in that color ? but it may not even be a porsche OE color it could just be a color the last owner liked in a color chip book ?

many times when porsche is up dating there info if they only paint under a certain number of cars they don't up date the info for them they just drop the info off the list . they did it when they went from paper to microfilm and then the same when they went to disc . why you may ask and it all has to do with money ! the cost to pay some one to up things is very high it has to do with the time it takes . for some one or me to go thru all the years of the color under a color code then add up just how many cars and models were painted in the color with vin numbers it takes hours to do so some times .

the same holds true for when the old colors have to be up dated from the paint CO's . say the paint co changes there paint line like many had to do becuase of the new VOC rules from the Gov.
and again with the new waterborn base colors . they have to spend time and money to match all the old colors when they have colors that not many car were painted in and the color is not offered on todays cars they tend to just drop the info . if a body shop needs to paint a car that color there are other ways to get the right color to match them but they are also not in the main paint system ( on disc)

Last edited by 962porsche; 07-06-2013 at 07:08 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)