View Single Post

AEM Boost/Wideband Failsafe Gauge Install

Gents,

I finally got around to installing this AEM failsafe wideband/boost gauge into the 930. The reason why I chose this gauge was it's two gauges in one and I really wanted to have a boost gauge and wideband in the car. With the AEM I was able to get the best of both.

I decided that I was going to replace the OEM clock with the AEM gauge so I bought an oil/fuel gauge and started to retrofit the AEM into it.

It takes a bit of hacking, cutting and essentially removing all the guts from the stock gauge to fit the AEM. I had to make a few adjustments to the AEM face to get an OEM like fit and finish. I got rid of the face bezel and glued it onto a piece of plastic to achieve the look I wanted.

This is the finished product, looks pretty solid behind the stock glass.

I started off yanking the clock and quickly realized that Im going to need more space and access back there to run wires and what not.

So I pulled all the gauges.

Good thing I did because I realized I have a set of LED lights to install that I got from Etarga.

The underside of the passenger footwell has a perfect access hole for me to run the wires to the AEM gauge. You can find many different areas to tap in for power and ground but for me I already had the necessary wires stripped down there so I just decided to tap in there. Even though the gauge has about 6 or so wires, most are outputs to control solenoids that I wont be using.
Power and Ground is all you need to hook up, plus illumination so its a very easy wiring job.

To install the wideband sensor, I removed the bumper so I could have easy access to the muffler.

I double checked clearance and decided on a proper spot to mount the sensor. Some people may argue that the sensor is too close to the turbo but I didn't see another option for mounting since the B&B muffler outlets didnt have much space nor was I sure the sensor would read accurately.
The worst thing that will happen is that I'll go through sensors quicker than normal.

Having a circular hole cutter helps tremendously, it made easy work of the metal and cuts a perfect circle for the bung.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)