View Single Post

Garage
Transmission beam 3rd generation

On the search for improvement, I started to made a new beam once more. The first I made was just stock with a few wholes drilled and instead of rubber mounts I welded in shims. Lightweight and stiff it was, but lot more noisy tranny and vibrations:

So I made the 2nd one out of a steel profile and fitted Wevo rear engine mounts. Also I set the engine 10mm lower. On this I used a 9mm spacer between tranny and beam to get enough room for throttle rubber block:

Now I wanted to make one out of aluminum. I spent a lot of time to find a profile, which offers the base dimension I need. Finally I found a squared one with beefed middle section. As I am no engineer, I just compared strenght of the my steel beam material with the aluminum specs, which is pretty the half and trippled the dimension almost: 3.5mm to 9mm plus beefier lower section. Further I decreased the weight saving drilles from 75mm to 53mm:

Sides cut in an angle of 45, lower 60mm (40mm left) cutt-off and drilled for mounts and some weight saving:

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list

Last edited by proffighter; 07-15-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)