Thread: my "TO DO" list
View Single Post

The speed relay is also the factory rev limiter that disconnects the ground to the fuel pump relays shutting them down around 7200rpm. I'm not sure what all else it might do. If you take the aluminum cover off you'll see two small relays on the PCB inside.

I installed a small black rocker switch next to the sunroof open/close rocker switch and use it to manually operate the vacuum solenoid that blocks vacuum retard to the late eightees distributor.
It will advance the timing a little when throwing the switch to close the vacuum retard solenoid and sometimes I use it to raise the idle speed about 300 rpms at traffic lights if I want to while the motor is still warming up around 3 minutes after a cold start.
At 3 minutes after cold start the AAR and WUR bimetallic spring heaters are fully warmed up and the idle will be a little low until the cylinders and heads are fully warmed up and that takes a few more minutes of running.

edit: I just noticed you recently posted in the sticky post on why my car doesn't start at the top of this page. You know your electrical stuff a lot better than me and the post above yours from billjam has nice wire diagrams of the fuel pump relay circut. Good stuff.
Sticky for common answers to why "My car doesn't start...."

Last edited by JFairman; 07-19-2013 at 06:16 AM..
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)