View Single Post

Garage
Scope creep - 77 3.0

So after my turbo stopped working (3LDZ), I replaced it with a k27. The car stopped working after about 1000 miles, wouldnt hold idle.

Time to finally do what PO's should have done, and dive in, hoping to solve the issue along the way:
- delete smog pump (including air injectors on cylinder heads, piping, etc.)
- delete thermal reactors, replace with Busch piping from our friendly host
- delete AC (kompressor only, was inoperable anyway, and not needed in Berlin)

+ the usual while at it:
- adjust valves
- exchange plugs
- exchange oil
- all seals
- oil filter
- check for future issues & clean a lot

So it all went ok, two broken studs pulling the thermal reactors out, but that was to be expected, two days of work all in all.

The turbo (turbine side) intake hose was in pieces (note to self: ALWAYS exchange cheap components while you're there, I slept on it when I exchanged the blocked 3LDZ), and we found a lost air hose close to the WUR, so the engine had plenty of surplus air. No wonder it wouldnt hold idle.

Additionally we found two plugs on cylinders 6 & 5 to be very loose, causing black smoke leftovers in the valve covers, and burned bakelit in the spark plug connectors & wiring. Good find, no real damage done yet, and with new cables & plugs things can only get better.

And really I seem to have found a generally sound and well maintained car - though a few things should have had the PO 's attention (like thermal reactors). With less than 60k miles (80k km) this is stillgood news?!

All spark plugs looked similar and fine, even the hard to reach ones are same Bosch OEM equipment, exchanged recently, no pulled head studs, only 2 valves needed minor adjustments.

And then there is the problem: When we started it, it turned, fired, wouldnt run. Only bridging the fuel pump relay in the front (first one) made it hold idle. Not perfectly, but ok. Relais in the rear works. Pushing down the air meter plate (sorry, is that the right term? I am german after all makes the relais click, no running fuel pumps on ignition - without jumping thhe first relais in the front trunk that makes the rear fuel pump work.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Anything to look out for, when interfering with all those deletes?

More pictures tomorrow, on how that all looks a little tidi'ed up...!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)