Thread: Misc. Questions
View Single Post

Removing the air cleaner is not at all difficult. The hardest part is getting a small wrench in the limited space to unscrew the two bolts that mount the aircleaner to the fuel distributor. Piece of cake, otherwise.

The temperature switch (probably more accurately named a valve, since there's nothing electrical about it) is located way back in the area of the oil thermostat on top of the engine block which is kinda behind the fuel distributor. It will be a pain to get to unless you're a contortionist. When I had my engine out for a reseal and clutch years ago, I remember scoping out that unit and testing it's action. For me it opened at around 150 degrees F (hot water bath) and is simply a bi-metalic heat actuated valve.

I've probably got this backwards and if so I trust my fellow Pelicanites to correct me, but if I recall it's function is to keep the timing retarded until such time that the engine warms up somewhat....in order to increase exhaust temps due to the retard and heat up the catalytic converter quicker for emissions reasons. I left mine connected since it was working fine, but in hindsight I probably would have taken it out of the equation entirely since I don't have to worry about emissions testing here.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)