Thread: 1.7 Fuel Filter
View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
No, you didn't miss anything. The low-pressure side of the pump is where the filter usually goes.

The whole fuel system in the 914 flows a whole lot of fuel, though. In a carbed car (if I understand correctly), the pump only pushes enough fuel for the engines actual use, more or less. In a fuel-injection system like the 914 uses, there is quite a bit more fuel flowing than the engine uses. This is done for a lot of reasons, including making sure that there is enough fuel under ALL circumstances, keeping the fuel cooler than if it were just sitting on top of the engine, and even cooling the fuel pump.

However, the Bug filter is both low-pressure AND low-flow. The high flow required of the stock FI system may be too much for it, especially over time.

I'm not sure what the actual pressure on the low-pressure side of the pump is, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a number somewhat higher (or even lower due to the suction) than the Bug filter was designed to cope with.

The bottom line is that fuel leaks are VERY bad things. (Unless you want to burn your car to the ground, possibly with yourself in it.) It's probably not worth saving the $10 (or whatever) buying cheapo Bug filters that weren't designed for the stock fuel injection.

--DD
Old 07-13-1998, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)