View Single Post
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlobeck View Post
Ha, yeah for GT driving ill take the '86, but for around-town mashing the 3.0 litre is so fun. With no smog injection/pumps/thermal reactors I think I have a true 260hp coming out of the '77 (everything else stock). I truly think back-to-back the 3.0 litre is faster than my '86. '86 having all the smog equip attached.. The top end acceleration on the early cars is incredible, especially when you consider them 35+ years old.
If you have the air injection and the thermal reactors removed, then you are missing the quick boost that made the original US car what it was:

"During development of an emission control system for the US version of the 911 turbo, it was observed that secondary air injection does effect boost and performance characteristic positively"

- Hans Metzger

In the latest Panorama Magazine they tested a 3.0 Turbo Carrera. They remarked that it seemed pretty tame, then they remarked that one of the air injector plugs fell out during the test drive.

Here is Dr. Metzger's data showing the quicker boost and torque delivery with air injection:

Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)