View Single Post

Garage
This is surprising. I had no idea that the ring is supposed to be mounted with the lip away from the rotor. Mine was originally mounted with the lip down against the rotor, and thats the way I have always assemled them too.

Is this worry about your thick center section, and clamping with lip towards the disk and thus making the disk non-floating a real problem? Isn't the forces involved, when the disk heats up and expand, great enough to overcome tha clamping force of the bolts?

I had to replace the original hats with a hat and ring set with T-locks from VCI. Mine were badly corroded (steel bolts in alu hats provide a good ground for corrosion) , and some of the square tabs had fallen off. I went from quiet brakes to very noisy since these hats provide more float. I thought maybe I could grind down the T-locks a little bit to provide less play for the disk.

As for lubing, I used copper spray to try and quiet them down, and reduce friction, but they are just as noisy. Maybe copper paste?

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)