View Single Post

So I went and looked at a 78 930 last night. Learned a good lesson on critical reading.

Car price at $30K

Link

The car was highly modded with allot of choice additions as you can see from the description. The price…too good to be true. Fortunately the car was on a lot about a mile from my house so on the way to dinner I swung by.

The re-spray was about what you would expect, a 6 out of 10. Its greatest virtue being that it seemed to have held up well over the years. The rest was mostly bad news. Dirt in the paint, filler, improper prep, sanding swirls in the filler coming through the paint etc. Panel fit was average to good.

Two major catches:
1. Car had a buyer already in Sweden
2. NO ENGINE

Yep, I missed that in the description. Too bad I don’t have a 3.4L twin spark chilling in my garage looking for a home, this would have made a helluva track slut (as it appeared it had spent most of its recent life being).

For other folks looking for that special something I want to mention a couple red flags I noticed (and promptly ignored) that come up in the pics.

1. NO ENGINE ("roller")
2. Note the plates. Car last registered in 2008. This begs the question as to why it's been off the road.
3. Cobwebs on tires/wheels. Where was this stored? Soft semi race rubber will flat spot pretty quickly. Tires could be garbage.
4. Pictures taken in summer. The salesman's story of having it about a month doesn’t jive with the weather we have had. Not really a big deal but something to note.
5. Car's ass seems to sit pretty high (no engine, duh)
6. Passenger side exhaust cut out but no exhaust (read the ad you dummy!)

Salesmen was nice enough, they were closed when I arrived and he still showed me the car. Seemed to be a car guy and knew his way around. I did my best impression of a smart guy to seem like I knew before I drove over that the car had no engine. Dont think he bought it.

Other than that…great car…for someone sitting on a motor. Doing the rough math to re-power and get it on the road I figure ball park you'd be in the high 50's best case scenario. Dyno time, shop time, while you're in there's and misc could easily kill you (or me at least).

Onto the next one.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)