Thread: Rear Wheel Play
View Single Post

More data

Roger,
Just another possible area for play to develop in the rear end.
I have replaced my pivot bearings at 60,000km about 3 months ago and done about 10,000km since. Prior to that, I had cleaned and re-preloaded them which probably only lasted about 1,000km roughly. While performing a service on the thing over the weekend I gave the rear wheel a feel, and WTF? There was play there accompanied by a fairly loud "crack" noise. OK I thought, the bearings have just settled and need another tweak, so out with the tension wrench and reset the preload. No, the play is still there, and after some difficulty isolating the movement, I discovered that the spigot on the fixed side pin was worn and allowing the bearing to walk from side to side on it. There is only about a 5 thou step in the pin, but it compounds by the time it gets to the wheel. So it looks like a new pin is in order. Can't wait to see how much BMW wants for one of them, the bearings cost me $180Aust.
On the other topic of discussion, I have short (365mm) arm and Std length (Bitubo) shocks with no driveshaft problems so far.
My bike has 70,000km on it and probably about 30,000 of them are with this combo.

M Motor
Old 04-19-2003, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)