Thread: Longneck
View Single Post

So I got lucky today. A friend not only had one, but TWO BOVs that he didn't want anymore so he gave me a great deal. I felt better about having an extra in my vault as I literally destroyed a chunk of unobtanium...

After that, I had to "nut up" to make the cuts into that big hunk of magnesium. It sounds so easy when you talk about it in cyberspace... but as you make that first pass with the hacksaw you start thinking about the history and the German guy that made that piece in 1983 and how he would probably like to beat your a$$ if he saw you... (no pun intended)

After I cut it up, I realized just how perfectly sized it was for the bead blaster After the bead blaster I saw all the casting slag on the inside so I grabbed a spare intercooler and marked everyplace that had over hang. Then I dug out the dremel and did a little street port to make sure the air didn't have any sharp edges to travel around. Once I got the street port done I figured that since there is no fuel at this point maybe I could just hand polish the passage with 600grit, 800grit and finally 2000grit. Damn it's shiny... and port matched to a stock intercooler too! Probably worth .125hp

Then I remembered that JFairman (I think it was him anyway) told me that you can use a 1/8npt bushing and tap it for M8-1.00 very easily. So I fabbed the plate and cut it for a 1/4npt to 1/8npt bushing and drilled and tapped the appropriate holes to fit the overboost sensor and my boost line for the mechanical boost gauge. After all that was done, I roughed up the surfaces and used some... yup, I'm gonna say it... JB Weld to put it all together

Once it dries tomorrow, I will tap the brass fittings, file off the excess edging from the plate and paint it some color that I have not decided on yet. Now I just need the 964 parts to make it work...
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)