View Single Post

David,

Here are a couple of possibilities. Read this first one, then check some of the other sources on the 2nd one. Lots of discussions come up.

I will also mention that I had this happen a couple of times over the decades [too many Porsches to be specific...sorry]. What I do recall was the last time it was my '79 930 and I grabbed the lid and moved it around a bit... trying to make the rod bit attached to the lid move inside the latch itself. I then tried forcing it closed a bit harder ... hard to describe and reading what I am writing sounds like asking for problems. Basically, moving it around a bit and then going back and giving the cable another big yank.. and it popped. It turned out the locking nut had loosened up allowing the rod to change length.

If yours is completely frozen shut.... what about removing the T handle and giving the end of the cable a tap or three with a small hammer? You want to unfreeze whatever is causing the problem.

And... here are the links:

Broken engine lid/cover release cable

https://www.google.com/search?q=EMERGENCY+RELEASE+ON+PORSCHE+911+ENGINE+L ID&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#q=EMERGENCY+RELEASE+ON+PORSCHE+911+ENGINE+LID&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial

Good luck. Please let us know how this turns out.
JR
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)