Thread: Rear Wheel Play
View Single Post
Registered

While gassing it out of turns, my S has developed what feels to be an underinflated rear tire. The pressure is 39.5psi so something else is culpable. Whilst on the centerstand, I grab the rear tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and give it a wiggle. There is the slightest "tic toc" noise. Same noise at 12 and 6. The noise is so slight that I can't definitively locate the source.

I read my manual and consulted my pelican friends (youz bumz) for probable causes and here I am at this thread which, by the way, is quite confusing because there are several maintenance procedures being discussed simultaneously. They are:

1. Proper torquing of the, in correct BMW parlance, "Swinging-arm floating-bearing stud bolt". This is the 30mm and 12mm allen dealie on the inboard side of the paralever. On my S, there seems to be no play between the "swinging-arm" and "rear-wheel drive". Worn or loose bearings bearings at this connection would manifest themselves as play between these two members, No?

2. Proper shimming of the "crown wheel bearings" which are inside the "rear-wheel drive". This seems to me to be the more likely suspect for this kind of play. According to the manual, proper shimming of these bearings seems to require about a thousand dollars of BMW offical special tools, so I guess it's off to the dealer. Has anyone successfully performed this adjustment without the manual suggested tools? If so, please post. If it was discussed prior in this thread, a more clear reiteration would help.

I'm really suprised that such a tiny amount of wheel play that I'm able to detect has this much of a negative effect on handling. Is there something else I should consider?
Paul. '04 R1100S w/Íhlins an' stuff, '09 Buell 1125cr, '08 Suzi SV650A, '00 Suzi SV650, '97 328i (with sticky ass tires - I love this car even though its just a car). And the bikes I used to own: '68 Bultaco 100, '69 Honda CL450, '71 Kawasaki Mach III, '71 OSSA Pioneer, '72 Honda MR175, '72 Benelli 250, '75 Yamaha RD350 (then college), '83 Honda VF750F (then kids),'96 MZ Skorpion, '99 R1100S, '01 SV650 and '94 Honda VFR750F - most wrecked.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)