View Single Post

Another "is this 930 worth it?" thread (77 Turbo Carrera)

Hello Everyone -

I currently am pursuing a 1977 Turbo Carrera, black on black, w/ supposedly 14k original miles. The car has no documentation, needs paint, but supposedly the drivetrain is in good working order. The buyer wants $26,000 and it out of his hands due to a divorce. I am going down next week to have a professional PPI done on the car and if all goes well, I hope to purchase it. I know there is a huge spike in 930 sales recently, especially earlier cars, so I wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether you think I should move forward.

As mentioned above, there is not a whole lot of documentation on the car. All I know is what the owner told me: The car was driven by an old Ford dealership owner from 1977 to 1982, and then put in his office building for storage. The building sold to a management agency and along with it went the car. It sat until 2005, where it was pulled out of storage. All the seals on the engine were replaced and engine was cleaned up. The engine did have significant rodent damage when the car was pulled out. The car then sat for several years outside in Southern California weather, and was driven on occasion, after the owner started having divorce-related problems. It was then put in storage for the last two-four years, and again, driven once every few months. Not sure if I believe the whole story - but the wheels and interior really look as if they had 14k original miles. Matching numbers.

I had a friend go over to the location to inspect the car. From what I've gathered, the car has a solid body and mainly has sun damage. No rust spots that I know of, but it does need a repaint. Roof and many parts of the body were damaged by sun and from poor detailing work (paint buffed down to primer in some areas). It looks like the car has 'euro' heat exchangers, thermal reactors and smog equipment removed. He has all original equipment that I will receive upon sale. It seems to be leaking a little oil in some areas, but I'm not overly concerned about that as I can do the work myself.

Current pics:

Photos before it sat, circa 2006:

Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by spitz; 01-10-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)