View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
no i had it set for 108 amps because the tubing is about 1/8 inch. haven't done any practicing last couple days been too windy. also realized i need a gas lens which i got on Friday but they were out of stock for the cups which i have to wait till Monday. I'm also going to take the trouble to make a couple extra flanges to practice on.

Gas lens with about a #7 cup and good gas flow like GJF pointed will help a bunch.

Put the torch at a 45 degree angle to the joint, now angle up vertical a little so you're pointing more at the flange, then pull the torch away from the tube about 1/8". Start the puddle there (as GJF mentioned). Feed in rod and move the puddle towards the tube. You'll get it.

You may need to up the amps a little more to get the puddle to start quickly. I was welding a 1/4" solid flange to 1/16" tube and set the amps to 160 for a quick start. Back off the peddle once the puddle starts.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)