View Single Post
Non User

Garage
Drop both the engine and tranny, I'm not really sure how you would do only one practically, but I know it can be done. Two criticals are the trans strap and the speedo wire - neither are very visible, which is why they're forgotten. Buy Wayne's 101 project book, use the procedure checklist (and some common sense as each engine may differ a bit). Think about cracking nuts on the ground, on the lift, or on an engine stand, at least break loose some stubborn ones while you have the engine securely in the car. The engine with and w/out trans is very awkward and will require a few helping hands to get up on stand. Can you drop engine, separate trans, roll car out of the way and use the lift to get the engine to the proper height for the engine stand? Remove your bumper for more room, but I dropped mine only removing the valence and had plenty of room (I don't have an intercooler though). Wart h out for trans shaft getting hung up in firewall, need to drop down and to the rear, easiest to do on a furn dolly, palette with wheels (I use a forklift to get it on the stand), motorcycle /atv jack.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)