View Single Post

Thanks for all the help folks. In the last week there has been some intense forum searching and bookmarking.

I definitely need to give Brian a call soon....

The better part of valor is discretion – 315mi in a 930

I am a huge proponent of the multi-car solution. I learned this lesson the hard way, taking my only car from a stock MK2 16V Scirocco to a 2l 16V turbo charged animal on stand alone. One tortuous time crunched weekend at a time over the span of about 5yrs. I am well versed in the brinkmanship in going from the best of intentions Friday night, despair of disassembly Saturday and the 4am Monday morning thrash because the last “project” ate the last of your “sick” days and you will be at work per the boss. This tests your mettle, bonds of friendship and just how much access to credit anyone who is into cars should sanely have (thank you Amazon.com corporate Amex). Shortly after crossing into my 30s I had for the first time multiple cars and have never looked back.

I told you that story to tell you this one. My garage over the last few years has been a bit of a gravity well. Walking past on the way to work and I find myself invariably pausing to consider if I really want to take the daily driver on that particular day. Some mornings the pull is stronger than others. “Do I want to stop for coffee? The sixer is too low for the coffee hut and has no cup holders soooo”, “Its sunny in the PNW, have to drive the Cabriolet”, “need a refresher on why I love cars, lets roll Rabbit”, you get the point. It’s a good problem to have and one I work hard to continue to enjoy.

Last weekend the PNW saw a bit of windstorm and some heavy rain, no problem, its Allroad time. The right tool for the right job and all that. Well..you see the Seachickens are in playoffs and I was all set to watch the game and do some show and tell with the 930 to some buddies. Queue the gravitational pull of the door to the garage which happens to be right next to the front door (Allroad sleeps outside cause it’s a dirty girl). “Come on Shannon, be an adult, there is no reason you should take a 911 Turbo out in a storm”...no good reason at all.

After much turmoil and standing in the foyer for what felt like an hour sanity triumphed, Allroad it is (pats self on back for being smart). Reach for Audi keys…..no keys…..where did I leave them….I moved the Allroad just last night…then I moved the 911….****. Allroad keys are in the Porsche.

So I am driving a 80s 911 Turbo in a huge storm which is about as nerve racking as it sounds. There is enough water on the freeway to make the front end feel like you have power steering, at about 50mph it’s a pucker factor of 8 for me. Big boy car, big boy power, big time idiot. At one point I watch a C63 AMG blow past me, hydroplane, clip a Sprinter van upon which they both headed off into the woods together. I think it was at this point that even the 930 agreed with me that this was a mistake. I briefly picture the traction control light in the Merc finally getting the last laugh. In the Porsche the only light you see flashing when you do something stupid is that of your life before your eyes. Not maybe a minute later a branch that for all I know was thrown by the Porsche gods themselves smacks into the hood. I’m done. Immediately exit the freeway and finish the last 4miles on surface streets. Once safely parked a quick damage assessment revealed the only casualty to be a pair of boxer briefs. Ill proudly present my wuss card when prompted to do so from here on out and just drive the damn Audi.

In other news, the first visit to Mr.Walker, the 930 Whisperer is on Monday. I have called twice to add more things to the list. I get the distinct impression he is not as excited as I am nor is my checking account. After a bit of research it does seem more and more likely that the cut out under boost I see occasionally is the Overboost Protection Switch. Not that this is new to you folks but for me it was. Given we are dealing with 80s tech here its entirely plausible that I am either getting a boost spike or the switch is overeager. The test for the switch to me is not for the faint of heart however, from my reading it goes something like this. Remove and ground the lead connected to the switch thus bypassing it completely and then go out and apply the loud pedal and see what happens. To me this sounds a little like seeing if a gun is loaded by looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger. No thanks, “hey John can you also…..”.

To close out, while the multiple car solution would at first take lead people to believe that the car project productivity would increase, the truth is unfortunately quite the opposite. Where youth afforded me the hutzpah to says things like “engine swap this weekend and road trip to California Monday, hell yeah”, now old age sounds like “maybe I will tackle the turn signal gaskets this weekend, maybe”. Older eyes see that less is often more. I promise to make discretion my co-pilot from now on…..right after this last dip into boost. Promise.

Some quick facts:
First tank of fuel = 210miles (holy crap this thing has a 20gal tank!)
Most common visual commentary = Wow!
Most common first ride commentary = coo…jesus, wow, brakes, BRAKES, BRAKE, SHANNON!
First Pelican Parts order total = $634.00

What it still feels like on my way to work:
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Last edited by 16Volt; 01-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)