View Single Post

Here are the highlights from a response I gave on the Rennlist board.

You will need:
1) 968 engine with harness, dme, throttle linkage, oil cooler
2) 944 bellhousing
3) 944S flywhell, clutch & pp
4) 944S, S2 or 968 exhaust
5) cone filter setup to replace 968 airbox
6) There is a single wire to change in order to bypass the internal 968 alarm on the brain and give it a switched 12V
7) The connectors from the engine harness don't match the chassis harness so the wire for the oil level, tach and check engine light must be spliced to their proper wire on the chassis side
8) you need to cap off the coolant fitting on the throttle body and the one on the water pump unless you want to use the line and tank from a 968 which I'm not sure will fit.

This is from memory but I think that is it
Todd

Let me preface this with saying my experience is from swapping a 968 engine into a 944S, a very easy swap.

An additional caveat to what I posted earlier is that if you transplant into an S you need to remove the ignitor from the ignition circut.

The 944 bellhousings are dimensionally all the same, if you use the 968 bellhousing, which is very trick, you need the 968 torque tube

The coolant still flows to the throttle body just one of the return ports is blocked. I believe this was an emissions thing but I could be wrong.

We used a Sachs 944S sport clutch disk which has a segmented surface and spring center. It is more than up to the task.

The 944S trans with limited slip works quite well, excellent gearing for the torque cure of the 968 engine.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)