View Single Post

Challenges for a Novice DIY Engine out service

Hey Guys,

As you all know, my last expedition (12 months & $9000) on having the oil leak fixed on my '91 964 Turbo by an air cooled expert, 1000 miles away, failed miserably.

I was going to have the local dealer work on the car (RMS leak) but I really can't expect anything besides just the basic work. I also don't feel comfortable with the only mechanic there that works on these air cooled cars.

I have absolute no mechanical skills but have a friend who has plenty of experience working on the cars including VW and their engines but have never worked on a Porsche.

I really would like to do the work myself and do every thing by the book and do it right and in the process change/replace what ever needs to be replaced. It's un- believable the little issues the car had and still has (few) that could have been avoided had the mechanic paid attention to his work

So my question is, where do I start and what do I need in order to drop the motor, look at the RMS and to go further if needed?

Where can I get the relevant stuff like factory manuals, any special tools etc.

I don't doubt his skills but not knowing the particulars of this car (what's normal and what's not) is where my reservation is?

So with his mechanical skills and with plenty of knowledge here, can this be pulled off?

Please go easy and help me sort out my car.

Thanks

Last edited by yasir; 01-19-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)