Thread: Ported K27 7006
View Single Post

Ported K27 7006

Yesterday I took the compressor cover off my K27 7006 I'm not using at the moment and flared out the inlet with carbide burs and sandpaper cones on a die grinder. Then finished it off by hand with 1200 grit sandpaper. I also flared and smoothed out the inside of the outlet a little too.
Now I have to source a new red silicone o-ring for the groove around the outer edge of the backplate for it. The one that was on it is toast.

You see Garret turbo's with a smoother more flared out inlet side and the the hybrid Garret and K27 HFS turbos do too. They just look like they would flow more air and be more efficiant while the old K27 7200 and 7006 turbos are kind of blunt on the inlet side.
It probably won't make any difference in performance I'll notice if I put it on the car again but I got satisfaction from doing it and I like how it looks better than before.

Currently I have a K27 7200 HFS hybrid rebuilt by Durabilt on the car that comes on a few hundered rpms earlier and has a little less lower rpm turbo lag than a K27 7006 because of the smaller 7200 hot side housing and turbine wheel.

So I took a few pics of it a little while ago.. it's 59 degrees and sunny with low humidity in S. Florida today.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)