View Single Post
So to be clear, I have no intention of getting rid of my cars any time soon. And even when there are driverless cars, I will have undoubtedly cars that I operate myself until my dying day (even if I also own a driverless car to use sometimes).

But I think there is indeed an interesting, legitimate question about if/how future generations will consider cars as collectibles or have enthusiasm for motorsports. It's not just the potential advent of driverless cars which could turn motoring into a utility rather than an experience or a hobby. If you look at kids / teens today, anecdotally fewer seem to have car posters on their wall than when I was a kid... they save their chore money to buy the latest iPhone or iPad, not to buy their first car. If you look at people in their early 20s today, many who have the financial means to own cars choose not to and instead rely on Zipcar or Uber or whatever (e.g. cars are a utility to them, not a pleasure or a status symbol).

I'm not saying racing or car collecting or other forms of car ownership for fun (rather than daily transportation) will go away. But I think it's an open question whether a large swath of people will view cars as desirable objects to drive and own in the future. There are still folks who own horses as a pastime today, but nobody rides them daily anymore and a much smaller percentage of people today consider owning one than 100 years ago.
'13 981 Boxster (BGB 3.8L 991S conversion) - Racing Yellow
Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)