Thread: auto heat
View Single Post

The original poster hasn't said what year his car is.

FWIW, the late eightees cars have the interior temp sensor for the auto heat mounted on the back of the ashtray frame. There is a tiny fan inside it that pulls interior air in through a clear PVC hose that is attached to a small round slotted vent on the lower dash to the right of the steering column.

I snapped the round vent out from behind and using a short piece of 3/4" heater hose as a spacer I mounted a 911 fog light switch in that hole to turn on my WMI. Looks original and works great.
The auto heat sensor minus the PVC hose now takes it's interior air temp readings from behind the ashtray and it still works fine too.

For those that have a late eightees 930 and hear a faint electric motor start running kinda slowly every time they turn the ignition on before cranking the starter motor that's what it is... the little 1" fan inside the auto heat sensor housing behind the ashtray starts running slowly as soon as the ignition comes on. Mine does anyway, so maybe the the wire for it is on the wrong fuse terminal up on the fuse box in the trunk.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)