View Single Post
Ari

I use fabric softener dryer sheets tossed around the interior of the car and, while correlation does not prove causation, I haven't yet had mouse problems in my cars.

That is despite the minor mouse infestation I experienced last fall here at the old farm house I am renting. I fought that off with sticky traps anywhere mice might be or, in one instance, where a mouse was observed and later trapped. I recommend sticky traps because they don't splatter mouse liquids like traditional traps and they don't leave decaying mice in their hiding spots like poison. Plus, they can catch multiple mice if another one comes to check out what happened to his friend.

The green-pellet poison boxes do seem to at least attract mice to them. I had a couple of those and they quickly became empty. I eventually found where the pellets ended up when I went to use the small shop vac. The hose was full of little green poison pellets. I'll admit to not having yet opened the shop vac to see how many mice met their fate inside. There's just always been something a little bit more enjoyable to do with my time.

The local NAPA sells a mouse repellant product for vehicles which I suspect is just a dryer sheet, but have not actually tried yet. Their market is farmers who have $200,000 tractors that sit parked for the winter, near grain bins and other mouse attractants. If you have a similar store, go in and ask. (If a local FLAPS doesn't have a solution, try chains like Tractor Supply Company or the various farm and fleet stores. Their target market is a little bit more nuanced toward people who share the need to store vehicles for the winter.)

EDIT to add: My parents also live in a very rural location. They have a few cats that live outside and in the garage (courtesy of a pet door). They have mouse traps set all over their house, storage room off the garage, and outbuildings. Those traps rarely catch a mouse anymore, with the time between caught mice being directly proportional to the number of hungry cats they own.

Last edited by iamtheari; 01-30-2014 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Meow
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)