View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
Ah, you're all welcome but I only opted to do this b/c I knew without even hearing it that I was merely speaking the minds of the masses. And, I am more than happy to do this - as - I know - Mark would do the same.

We're well on our way here and have made some tremendous initial progress. Better yet!!!... Jacob just updated Mark's original thread below with this gem of information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
I have a line on what may be the ideal replacement for Mark's BBQ'd baby. This car is an '87 Grand Prix White Coupe (like Mark's) with Burgundy interior (also like Mark's I believe). It is a 2-owner car, originally from California with 143k on the odo, and two binders worth of maintenance history. The car has had recent body and paint work due to an agricultural excursion at a track day...the work was done to a high standard by the current owner on a "spare no expense" basis.

The engine is stock, still has all the factory emission equipment intact and functional, still has factory A/C. I viewed and drove this car last weekend and it runs and drives very well. It's not going to win Pebble Beach but is quite a good looking example (looks better than mine cosmetically, truth be told).

This car is not for sale publicly. I explained the situation here (Mark's loss and our fundraising effort) and the owner offered this car to me at a "special friend and family price" that is below our fundraising target by a decent amount. The car has some safety equipment installed for track use that can be removed and sold, further lowering the cost of entry. One could probably sell the emission stuff to someone in Cali that needs it too (assuming its not required in WA), even further defraying the acquisition cost.

This is a good enough deal that I would write the check tomorrow to buy it for myself as a "spare" -- but I don't think I can bring a 3rd Porsche home without sustaining domestic collateral damage, if you understand my meaning. Wouldn't be prudent for plenty of reasons, continuing marital bliss being one of them.

I suppose I could buy it and flip it if the fundraising effort falls short, but I feel as if that would be taking advantage of the "nice-guy" pricing the owner has offered to me. He wants the car to stay "in the family" so to speak.

So consider this a challenge friends...I'm prepared to write a check for this car, buy it and hold it securely with the ultimate plan that it will end up in Mark's rebuilt garage IF the all the finances come together in way that guarantees he can take it off my hands. This can happen even if we are short of the stated fundraising target.
How cool is that? Almost fate-like.

We very much have the power to almost easily make this happen for Mark, gents!!! We're 38 supporters deep within the first two days - incredible! Alas, we have some work to do to get to the goal. Another 150-175 folks and I'd bet we'd get there!!! It sounds like a lot of people, but that really isn't!

I know this community is strong and determined enough to ensure success - we can do it men!... We will do it!!!

Any amount helps, and it only takes a moment. There are certainly still some amazing people left in this world...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-03-2014, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)