View Single Post

Garage
Owning and following the 930 market for many years I have to say this car leaves me completely speechless. I hope the bidders understand how much it takes to restore a vintage Porsche these days. $50K for a neglected, abused and unknown 35 year old car is asinine. There was a 1987 that sold for $75K in excellent shape earlier this week on Ebay. I understand the fact the car is a “70’s 930” but under the circumstances value will always be in original unmolested cars. Keeping this original will be very difficult at this point. The new owner will be in a considerable “hole” financially if they consider a full restoration.

On another topic the motors for 78-89 cars are the same in boost pressure, power delivery and compression ratios. The later cars are just as challenging to drive and in some cases more challenging. The biggest difference is weight, period. All 930s are difficult to drive fast. The motors, suspension, and overall car are very similar. If anything the 3.0 litre cars with the shorter stroke motor and boost delivery (no intercool) lends itself to a different driving experience. I agreed the boost on later cars is more progressive but the acceleration is equally aggressive due to the higher torque. The production numbers will always be in the favor of the early cars. Rarity and exclusivity is important to collectors. I find virtues in both for different reasons.

The proverbial cat is out of the bag, for there are few “good deals” left for 930s in general.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)