View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
I have a car in storage and rodents are my biggest concern. I've got every single opening and crack-like entrance of the unit stuffed with steel wool. They hate that stuff and usually won't try to chew their way through it.

I've also got a bunch of unscented glue traps (about 5"x8" in size) spread throughout the storage unit and under the car. Unscented so as to not attract the little bastards. In the last couple of years I have not trapped any rodents and I know they are in the area.

Funny, but I never thought about rodents when I was working on my car. I have a four post lift in the garage, and the car was always stored 6 feet in the air while I had the power train out for rebuilding. The car was locked up, and the only openings available to them are the two heatder ducts located in the engine compartment. Unfortunately, the car was stored like that for 14 months. In the 8 years I've lived here, I have only seen one instance of a chipmunk wandering into the garage when the door was left open. He quickly left town when I walked in on him. Other than that, Ive seen no evidence of rodents. No foot prints, no droppings, and no odors until I fired up my car.

The only thing that I can think of was that the engine electric fan was stored on a shelf in the garage during this time, since it was the first thing removed from the engine when I pulled her. That shelf could have been easily scaled by a rat, mouse, or chipmunk. And, I would guess that the large housing that encases the squirrel cage blower might have been a good place to build a next. I'm going to pull that blower off the motor in search of remains. I know that when I took the motor off the shelf to install it, I did not give it a second glance. I just plopped it onto the engine.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)