View Single Post

Garage
To fully restore the car or not?

My '86 930 has only 22k miles, all original paint, interior, etc. I bought it from the original owner (well there was one before him who bought the car new and sold it after 1 year) who bought it in 1987 and sold to me 2013. So 26 years with 1 guy. It has very few records due to the previous owner doing nothing but a couple of oil changes and 1 big build where it was modified. The mods he did were andial fuel enrichment system, cams, turbo, intercooler, clutch, muffler. That said, I have all the original parts except the clutch and cams.

The bad: the hood and a couple of spots that the previous owner touched up over the years with touch up paint looks, well, crappy. A dot here and there but it is plainly visible. Also, the underside was pretty dirty and while I cleaned it pretty good it is still a little grimy. The interior is virtually flawless but the carpet could use a shampoo to really spruce it up. Also, it came with boxed rockers but I have originals that I can install, no biggie.

I was going to cryo the underside and the original parts and then do some work to bring back some originality like undercoating and stuff like that.

I don't drive the car too much. Just a blast here and there for fun.

Question is is this where I begin or end? I know paint is important but do I paint the hood (the worst offender) and leave the rest? Original paint cars are what everyone wants but does a few amateur filled-in chips constitute a respray of those panels? Do I return the entire car to stock and ruin my fun?

Trying to decide how far to go as values on these cars is crazy and if the trend continues concours quality cars will always fetch the most. Problem is then you can't drive it too much. I have been offered money on the spot on 3 drives but turned them all down. I am driver and it's tough for me to keep something like this garaged but if every mile subtracts from value....My mind is racing!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)