View Single Post
Unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The Red Rocket was 360WHP at 2700 pounds wet with me in it and had stock SC brakes. I never had a problem with them and could lock up the tires at will, which I figured was good enough for a street car. You don't have to worry about brake fade on the street (at least if you are sane)...
That's exactly what I was thinking. A stock Carrera already has more chassis than engine. Mine already has the optional sport suspension, limited slip, full spoilers, and I added Fuchs 8s and 9s. When I used to do track days, I installed brake cooling ducts, Pagid Orange pads and Castrol SRF brake fluid. Never had brake fade at the track after that. Since I no longer take this car to the track (I race a '69 Alfa Spider now), I won't need the kind of hardware to handle repeated braking from 150 to 40 MPH, taking hairpins at the limits of adhesion, then blasting off the apex to do it over and over again, lap after lap. I've got the Alfa for that, albeit at a slower pace. I love my Porsche, and I think I'd love it more if it pinned me back in the seat a lot harder when I took off from a rolling start.

I appreciate the concern for safety, but some make it sound like putting the key in the ignition of an overpowered car will result in the car suddenly peeling out and careening into a ditch, bursting into flames. I personally think of the throttle as something more than an on/off switch.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)