View Single Post

Garage
Just an update to my old data logging thread. After my engine upgrade last summer, I installed two air temp sensors to monitor the charge air temp before and after the IC. The plan was to do this first on my old setup, and then measure the effect of the new TurboKraft IC, and also see any effect of possible shrouding for the IC. Never got around to do this before I rebuilt the engine, and having ordered an extra bung in the charge pipe from TK, I just installed both. After trying to analyze the data from the MAP and O2 sensor, I find it hard to see the data in relation to what I'm doing with the throttle. I got a TPS that I'm trying to position at the moment.

With two more sensors I needed much more wiring to the engine (both MAP and TPS need three wires) so I needed a total of 5 pairs. I hate odd wires around the car, and have previously cleaned out everything that previous owners have flimsily laid around the cabin and up front. Also, it would be nice to easily be able to disconnect the sensors in the event of an engine drop. I decided to get a 5 pair cable that was temperature resistant, and hook it up to some automotive connectors in the engine room. A bunch of connectors lying loose is not much better, so I casted together four connectors (two 2-pin and two 3 pin) into a single connector block. Then I made a clamp of some scrap alu profiles I had, and screwed that next to the shock tower. The harness for to the individual sensors are twisted wires and shrink tubed.

Not bad for a days work. I'm pretty happy with the result. The clamp could use some improvement, but it will do for now.

1972 BMW 3.0S

Last edited by aseem; 02-16-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)