View Single Post
Driver

Garage
Warm (No) Start Problem

I thought I had it licked. But last week it resurfaced.

The car starts just fine when it's been sitting. But if I shut it down, and then try to restart it, the starter just cranks. No fire. I need to wait 10-15 minutes and then the motor restarts like nothing's happened.

I've cleaned all the relays and spread their pins (front and rear). They're not hot or melted. I replaced the fuel filter (cheap things first). It fixed it....for a couple months. I replaced the fuel accumulator. Fixed it for a few more months. The battery's charged. I cleaned the transmission ground strap. I have hard time hearing/discriminating the fuel pumps while driving the car, but I hear something buzzing and they both feel like they're vibrating when the motor is running (put my hand on them today).

What else am I missing?

I tried replacing the external check valve at the front fuel pump today, but couldn't get the blasted banjo bolt off (whole assembly of bolt, outflow tube, and washers all spin together, and I don't have a wrench that's narrow/fine enough to hold the valve still while wrenching on the banjo bolt). And I haven't checked the residual pressures at the fuel pumps for lack of gauges.

What else can I try to FUBAR before giving in and taking the car into people who do this sort of thing for a living?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)