View Single Post

Garage
“the noise output is noticeably and significantly higher than should be expected for the vehicle.”

I knew about the boy racer rules (illegal street racing and burnouts) - I don't entirely object to that. Basically, I object to the Police having the ability to confiscate the car. I think it is ridiculous to infringe on property rights like that. The only other traffic infringement they confiscate the vehicle for is repeat drunk driving. To me, that suggests that street racing is equivalent to repeat drunk driving...

But the exhaust thing. I predict a number of things if they enforce it properly (which I hope they don't):

- I may get pulled over in my 911. This would be interesting for two reasons. The first is that I have a stock exhaust, but the 911 (the '69) is just really loud (air cooled = loud, 60s/70s exhaust = loud). The second is that I have an engineers certificate to cover the modifications (it has a 3.2 engine where the 2 litre once was), which may provide an escape clause. So - I might get pulled over and told I fail despite having (potentially) two reasons that I can't.

- the guy who bought my old Peugeot 106 Rallye (and all the other 20 owners of the same car throughout NZ) will get pulled over, because it was loud as hell. Factory specification loud as hell though.

- if I drive my race car ANYWHERE, I will get pulled over. It is REALLY loud, thanks to one muffler and big pipes. ALL racecars are too loud. ALL road registered race cars SHOULD fail. How are they going to deal with that?

- what about factory options? For the 911, back in the day (ie the 60s) you could order a factory twin pipe exhaust that is, IMO, obnoxiously loud. Does "factory option" define "factory"? That'd be cool for 911s

- finally, I dunno if you guys have noticed, but the average noisy Honda is 50% induction noise. The wording of the legislation is all "exhaust". Therefore there will be a bunch of Honda guys who stick pretty quiet exhausts on their cars and the biggest, noisiest cone filter they can find up front. Not exhaust noise, but still obnoxious.

If I ever get pulled over, I'm gonna ask how a bus can pass, because most buses pulling away from the lights are louder then my race car...

This is ridiculous. It is the most short sighted law I've ever seen. They should have set a db limit, made all the testing stations buy decent noise level testing equipment, and allowed some modest degree of exhaust modification. But no, they chose "louder than it should be".

Just friggin' stupid.

Last edited by CamB; 05-04-2003 at 07:38 PM..
Old 05-04-2003, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)