Thread: Holy Cryo!
View Single Post
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
The other day after reading this thread I was speaking to a guy who's pretty local to me in the UK who offers this service. Really nice chap, long chat with him.

He was saying that this cryo cleaning process was developed for the aviation industry, non destructive cleaning of components etc....but it can also be used for very delicate work, where he cited an example of restoring valuable books, where "perhaps" they've suffered smoke damage or such. They obviously wind down all the pressures, fit different nozzles, etc, but it's the same freezing process used as it doesn't soak the substrate. Fascinating.

As mentioned though, def not a cheap exercise....typically about 1k/day is their charge, plus the buckets of dry ice, plus if it's to be done offsite to them, then the hire of a compressor with 10bar capability (and presumably extremely large reservoir). Clearly a case of getting a bunch of guys together with as many cars and parts as can be mustered to make best use of the day!
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 03-01-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)