View Single Post
Wer bremst verliert

Fabrication project: Removeable engine mount

In order to get the engine in and out, I've had to take the supercharger and intercooler in and out while the motor is in the car. Its a royal pain, even with the removable seat, rear windscreen and tail. Its very difficult to get an arm in on the left side to adjust and tighten the supercharger turnbuckle stays with the motor in place.

I devised a way to put the whole motor/trans/intercooler assembly together on the rolling bench, roll it under the car on the lift, and drop the car down on the motor.

The problem before was the supercharger bracket plate fouled the left rear engine mount. I had to put the motor in place and then install the plate. THis made it very difficult to get everything aligned and tightened.

I ground off the old mount and fabricated this one. I've only done a few brackets and things before so my measuring, cutting and welding takes 3x as long and still isn't perfect, but its functional. Now I can put a camber gage on the nose of the supercharger, and one on the crank and adjust everything on the bench so its perfectly aligned, drop the car on the motor/trans and bolt the new motor bracket in place.

1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)