View Single Post

Bring the wheel chocks.

I planned on doing most of the work over the weekend while the GF unit was away so I could spend all day in the garage with the dog. It was going to be a great weekend, oil stained hands, junk food, no baby showers and guilt free naps. Everyone wins. But as box after box arrived I found it increasingly difficult to not fire up the heater in the garage and do some work after getting home from the office. This is something I haven’t felt in a long time. Truth be told, it felt pretty damn cool.

IMG_5741 by thecrashingdoor, on Flickr

After posting some of my cruise/boost issue details to the Pelican forums I was contacted by a forum member with instructions to call him (THANKS AL!). I have been in the car scene for a long time and am familiar with allot of different circles but someone reaching out directly and offering advice on the phone struck me as very….Scirocco-ish. I gave Al in New York a call and he related that he had an 86 which had the smog gear removed like mine, right down to the same vacuum line configuration. He also said that the routing caused him to have some the same problems I was experiencing. He suggested a different configuration and since I am no expert I went with it. I could do a whole post on how fantastic the 930 community has been but I will save it for another day, just know that I feel that I am in good company. Something I never felt with the BMW crowd. No offense BMW folks.

IMG_5780 by thecrashingdoor, on Flickr

The bulk of my poor impulse control arrived on Thursday and as I had nothing else to do I decided to tear in early. I figured it would take me a couple days to do what I needed to do anyway. Two hours later I had completed removing the decel valve, running new vacuum lines and then re-installing everything. All this with taking a dinner break and some internetting. If I was British, I would have been suitably chuffed. There was a problem however, it was about 10pm, rainy and cold out. For a split second I gave some thought to if I really wanted to do a test drive at this hour. Was I really that confident? Sure, why not, Al had faith in me.

I told the GF that I was going to fire the Porsche in the garage and that since it was backed in it may get smelly/loud. Truthfully however you can hear/feel/smell the 930 from two blocks away. I also thought it a good opportunity to include her (she is not into cars) by asking her to come out to the garage and call out if there was any fire or leaks. A roll of the eyes later and I had my hand on the key for the first fire up. Now I know what you’re thinking, it’s not like I rebuilt the top-end or if we are honest with ourselves, fixed anything special. It was however the first real car project I had done in years, and on a 911 to boot so I felt a small amount ceremony was associated with it all.

A twist of the key and 930 exploded into life, seriously it had never fired off that immediately in the entire time that I had owned it. The idle settled in at a window rattling 1900rpm which was not completely unexpected with what Al had told me about the new vacuum line routing. I was prepared having practiced inserting my 2ft long screwdriver through the tiny gap between the intercooler and manifold to hit deeply buried idle screw. It’s a tedious job as you drape your body across the motor with it idling in place. Let’s take a moment here to talk about Star Trek.

The bulk of Sci-Fi movies and Bond movies find creative ways to put our heroes directly in the path of some menacing mechanical apparatus. We suspend disbelief and imagine that at any moment they will be crushed, sliced, ignited or squeezed to death by all manner of doors, fans and heavy things. This is precisely how I feel about the fan on the 911 motor. In a “normal” engine the same cooling fan likely has a shroud to prevent or at least slow you down should you do something stupid. Additionally very rarely is there anything directly behind that fan which must be adjusted while the engine is running, not so on the 911. Positively everything is behind that blender. Go on, tighten that clamp, adjust the timing and insert a screw driver. I dare you.

Where were we, ah, yes, sticking a huge screwdriver into a turbocharged gas powered buzz saw. So there I am crouched behind the 930 fan of death, screwdriver in one hand flashlight in the other with my face up against the intercooler. I can barely see the tip of the screwdriver so hitting the idle screw on the TB with the motor running is a challenge. At that point I notice that the RPMs are increasing. A check of the tach after another failed attempt showed that the motor was then churning away at 2100rpm. The GF is unimpressed, the garage floor has two big soot streaks and I am sure the neighbors are thrilled to have us as renters. That’s about the time the smoke detector went off…..with the garage door open. I try again, 2200rpm, another miss, dammit, the GF goes inside and the dog sensing stupidity starts barking. The carbon monoxide detector in the garage joins in chorus with the smoke detector, 2350rpm, missed again dammit! Fuel soaked condensation is now rocketing out of the exhaust coating the BMW and blowing rags around. The smoke detector in the house goes off about the time I finally hit the mark and crank eight or nine turns in on the idle screw. Success…sort of, any household device designed to sense danger is now going off, nice job 930. I get the car out of the garage and decide that maybe I will make that test drive. It would be nice to not be around when the neighbors came by.

After grabbing the nearest pile of tools that the 930s exhaust hadn’t scattered across the garage floor I set off, confident. The car was running, not leaking so hey why not. After about a block I realized that I was a bit overzealous with the idle and it was lumping along at 500rpm or so. No worries, I would just stop at the park around the corner where I could dial it up a bit while maintaining a little dignity…under the cover of darkness….away from my neighbors…and smoke detectors. As I turned the corner to head up a steep hill I lost the throttle. ****. Sat there for a few seconds trying to figure out what to do then the idle finally dropped below what was sustainable and she was dead.

In-elegantly I let the car roll back down the hill and alongside the curb. The parking brake is a little hit or miss in the 930, while being super stiff to activate I never felt that it engaged with the same stiffness. Usually not a problem, I just don’t park on any steep hills….I had that thought in my head for the two block walk in the rain back to the house. Again, why do I not ever have a rain jacket in this car? Picked up the Audi and more tools, convinced I would have to pull the intercooler and most likely the lower intake manifold off to see the TB linkage. I put parked the behind the 930 so it would be the other half of the bun should the e-brake give up on the Porsche. I briefly remembered all those movies where the bad guy gets crushed between two cars, awesome. I set to work removing the intercooler, quickly. Once off I could see no issues with the linkage, everything appeared attached in the way I remembered, its action felt the same as it did before when I played with it in the garage. I needed help so I texted the GF who was super thrilled to lend a hand. I took the opportunity to ask her to bring the wheel chocks from the garage as well. Safety third ya know. She arrived and let me know that she had no idea what wheel chocks were. So be it.

With her pressing the accelerator pedal it was clear that something deep in the car was wrong, nothing in the engine bay moved. Throwing the last wisp of caution away I looked underneath the car to see that the linkage is comprised of two main pieces, those pieces were no longer connected. It was then that I remembered a story of a 911 owner whose linkage became separated during an autox tech inspection when the inspector open and closed the throttle body….just as I had done. About a dozen times in the garage. I could see where the joints had slipped and separated, hey Porsche, a cotter pin would be a great idea here. Getting as thin as I could be I slipped under the car and reattached the halves, boom we were back in business. I shuttled the GF home in the Audi, showed her what wheel chocks were and walked back to the Porsche feeling pretty damn chuffed.

Once at the park I was able to get the idle back up, I was getting pretty deft with that screwdriver by that time, the car however was running pig rich. And when I say rich I mean that the most challenging aspect of the screwdriver shenanigans was that my eyes were burning. An easy couple of blocks later and it was clear, something was seriously not right in turbo town. No boost, low power. Babied the car back home where thankfully all our warning devices had been silenced or had simply given up.

Back on the Pelican forums I discovered that in my eagerness to get rid of the decel valve I had disabled the diverter valve. Ugh. Once I thought about it all I was pretty embarrassed, it has been a long time since I have had to think the ins and outs of boost plumbing. Soaked, cold and with my eyes burning I decided to call it a night. As The Dude would say, strikes and gutters.

Next time on This Old 930 we talk about calling O’Reilly Autoparts for Porsche hoses on a Saturday. Thanks for tuning in.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor

Last edited by 16Volt; 03-04-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Old 03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)