View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Rob, regarding the info about torque wrenches - they shouldn't be used like a breaker bar (to loosen fully tightened nuts and bolts) as doing so damages them.

And you are probably tired of hearing about it by now, but one more thing about your wheel nut situation . . . when there is so little thread engagement on the studs the problem is not so much the nuts backing off, but the studs breaking. Basically, the very tip of the stud is bearing all of the load - much more force than it was designed to deal with - and eventually breaks off. I recently had a non-mechanic neighbor that replaced a bent wheel on his grocery getter, had a stud-nut situation almost identical to yours, and ALL of the studs broke after about a month of driving (front wheel came off while driving and the car slammed down on the hub).
Thanks Ronnie, that is well noted
Australia really needs a Local place/site like Pelican Parts if anyone started similar here it would be a booming business, personally ive only been able to buy one part locally for my project with the rest had from Pelican and International ebay, and when there is a local part the price is so high it makes it more worthwhile to order from overseas pay the fright and wait two weeks.(providing its a small size).

Im still looking for a complete roof though,
Buying locally i found one for sale at $2800
OS i found one for $500 but because of the size the freight is over $3000
Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)