View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
i posted in one of your other threads about how the dist is connected to the MSD.
if you connect it the way MSD says to, it triggers off the wrong slope out of the dist.
this wrong slope can be unstable AND it advances the timing as RPM's go up.

i saw something were you weree concerned about the sprak jumping from the rotor to the wrong cylinder because of where the rotor points due to it being locked down. this would also be because the dist is wired wrong.
I know and I already tried reversing polarity on the wires to the MSD and it made things a little better but did not fix the problem.

Then I actually modified my rotor to eliminate what you described. They call that rotor phasing. It is out of the equation 100% now and made no difference either to the symptoms I have so I dont think that was the problem at all. Cap and rotor show no signs of tracking and have all been replaced too. The rotor I am using is also the correct NAPA non resistor rotor because apparently the MSD burns out the OEM Bosch resistor rotor....though one lasted a while in my car before I switched over.

I originally blamed the ignition because of the symptoms but having eliminated every possible thing along that route (except returning the brand new MSD box) I turned my attention back to the FI system, however unlikely, because my fuel pressures have always been within normal ranges.

I would love to have someone post a reliable good running ignition curve for the MSD 6AL2 programmable unit but my requests fall on deaf ears. Maybe its top secret and I dont have clearance.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 03-27-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)