View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I did it a long time ago and I probably used some fine sandpaper while cleaning the last of it off. It's steel, you're not going to hurt it. Sandpaper will remove the cad plating on it making it more vulnerable to rust down the road but what are ya gonna do..

The worst part was the obnoxious fumes while burning the rubber off. Do it outdoors and stay upwind.
Second this, try to burn them off with a torch and you might get them hot enuff that they slide off with a pry bar or screwdriver.

Once they are gone you can wirebrush the surface clean with a brass wirebrush in a hand drill. Then if you want to stop corrosion spray the surface with a coat of enamel paint before slipping on the new bushings.

I am using the elephant racing polybronze bushings here and the ride is fine on the street and I did not notice any undue harshness when going from the OEM rubber bushings. The suspesnion travels way more easily and precise with the polybronze set up but honestly driving it on the street is not torture either.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)