View Single Post

Electrical Issue 930 turbo

Hi Guys,

I have been battling with an electrical issue with my 930 for way too long now and it's time I asked you all what you think may be happening.

Last year the lights were going dim and bright when I was accelerating and the stereo turned off when I hit about 3000rpm. Problem seemed to lie with the alternator current all over the place, so I had a new one installed and it resolved these issues immediately.

Great.. although then the car would be dead after standing for just a day - decided the battery was shot, so I bought a new Bosch battery - again problem fixed.

After a few days I left the car out in the rain by mistake (not sure if this is linked) and when i went back to her, I switched her on and immediately noticed electrical smoke coming from the driver side headlight (I'm in the UK so RHD). Switched off immediately to not cause further damage.

I had the light taken off and inspected the area - nothing stood out in there so re-installed the light and cracked on as usual... The car was working flawlessly for one week and I just took her for a half hour drive, when I tried to start again the battery was flat again and now I'm just baffled and it's driving me mad..

Sorry about the essay, but if anyone has any opinion on what it may be it would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your time. Nick.
1983 VW Golf GTI (EURO)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)