View Single Post

I want to follow up on this. To recap, I have added a turbo to my 1985 3.2L Targa using a J-pipe from a 930. For fueling there is a Begi rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and for timing there is a MSD unit that has adjustable retard on boost. For gauges there are AEM wide band AFR and boost units. I started off with a 3K 3LDZ and was happy with the improvement in performance, but felt to 3ldz lacked in the oil control department even after a rebuild. Enter a new turbo.

After weeks of research and consultation with members and vendors on this site I decide to go with a new BW S200. I got mine here
Borg Warner / AGP S200sx_RS_56 Turbocharger - AGP Turbochargers, Inc. Store
but I'm sure any of the excellent vendors here could supply a similar unit. I can't do any precise data logging with my set up, but from scanning the gauges and seat of the pants this is a very good turbo. It starts making boost around 2200rpm and is all in for my waste gate(7psi) before 3200. There is strong acceleration all the way to 6500 rpm. Overall the performance is much improved over the 3LDZ. As an added bonus there is a very noticeable turbo whistle that starts as soon as you shift into second before boost starts even with only moderate acceleration. All in all I am very please with the performance of the turbo. Unfortunately for me at least some of the smoking I was attributing to the 3K unit must be from valve guides and maybe rings. I also have an annoying leak at the left side chain housing to cam housing joint, so it is engine drop time for me. I just hope I can resist some of the "while you're in there" slippery slope.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)