View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Inside of the motor is very likely just fine and worth a lot of money. So is the transaxle.
It didn't get too hot in the motor compartment because there are a bunch of rubber hoses including the fabric covered one going from the turbo sump tank up to the air cleaner housing that are still very much there.

The rubber intercooler bushing looks somewhat melted and scorched but you can still see them. I don't know what temp the plastic injector blocks melt but they're still there too along with a bunch of magnesium engine parts.

That deceleration valve just might not work right anymore :/
Thanks for the close look at things and your perspective. What I really want to do is get in there and vacuum up the debris, maybe hose her down, then get some good light on the situation. But with no power or water at the house, that'll have to wait.
Most of the fire and heat was up front (but of course, 20 gallons of gas) and to the right of the car (it was backed into the garage, and to the right were all the motorcycles with gas in their tanks). That in part explains why the left rear wheel took the least amount of damage, and perhaps why the engine "seems" to have faired as well as it did.
Also note, you can still see the rubber cover for the boost gauge sender intact. Probably made of a high temp silicon, but again that tells us something about the heat in there.
Kozmo, I'm not sure the fan belt is still there. Would have to look again.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)