View Single Post

Thanks for the congrats everybody, it feels good!

Just got back from a photo job up in Jupiter, Fl and it ran perfect the whole way with the AC blowing good.
It idles smoother than it ever has before and it idled good before too. I'm still taking it easy on acceleration and changing RPMs and changing back and forth from 3rd and 4th gear every couple minutes and frequently getting on the gas and letting off the gas completely instead of cruising at a steady speed in 4th gear while driving on I-95. I havn't taken it over 4500 rpms yet.

It has 65 miles on it now and when it cools off a little I'll change the oil and filter with some more Valvoline VR 1 20w-50 non synthetic. I like synthetic oil but they say it's better to break in a motor on non synthetic so the rings seat in better. I'll switch to synthetic oil after 500 miles.

The 3.3 liter piston and cylinder set are Mahle stock replacement. I bought them 6 years ago when Kevin at UMW sold 3 sets in sealed boxes over on the Rennlist turbo forum for $1800. I figured at that price I wouldn't loose any money on them if I ever sold them and liked having them if I ever used them. They're in my motor now!.

They are the half finned cylinders Porsche used on the 911 turbo.
Here's what the set looked like when I first got them in the box.
The new wristpins are wrapped in brown anti corrosion paper inside the white styrofoam things. The pistons came with the rings on them inside the cylinders and you just can't see them in this pic.

The ring gaps were all lined up in a row when I pulled them out of the cylinders.
When I cleaned and oiled them and put them back in the cylinders with a little redline engine assembly lube on the piston skirts I positioned the ring gaps at 4, 10, and 2 o-clock starting with the top compression ring like the PDF copy of the factory manual I have says to do on page 102-26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaman fu View Post
Nice! Did the same a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Did you go with the fully-finned cylinders from the 964 turbo?

Here's the page in the factory manual describing where to set the ring gaps. It's good information.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)