View Single Post

I got rid of an annoying driver door rattle when I first got my car. When you take the door panel off you'll see a long steel linkage rod going from the interior door lock button bellcrank over to the door latch mechanism.
There are little plastic bushings where that rod bends and goes through and hooks up to other mechanical parts and they wear and go away after a while and the rod becomes looser and can rattle. Mine was rattleing against the door frame behind the door panel.
I put a piece skinny clear PVC hose over the rod where it was rattleing against the door frame and now it's quiet. Rubber vacuum line would work too.
You have to take the door card panel off and find all the linkage rods including the interior door pull lever in the door handle that loosen up and can rattle.

Spraying the long rubber door gasket the door seals against when you close it from end to end with silicone spray gets rid of annoying squeaks from the doors and is good for the rubber gasket. That goes for all cars.. especially old BMW's.
May not be your rattle but worth a try anyway.

The NHS gauge rattle fix is nice to know, I never would haver thought of twisting the gauge and hose to dampen it. Mine occasionally does it too. Sounds kinda like a small tambourine being shaken while accelerating slowly at lower rpms around town.
Maybe stuffing some cotton into the hose with a small screwdriver would work too.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)